This and that: Happy Thanksgiving Canada

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving Canada



This weekend is Canadian Thanksgiving and I am sure all my Canadian family and friends are gathering together and enjoying a turkey meal or two.  As we enjoy food, family,friends and fun do we remember what Thanksgiving is all about?

  Happy Thanksgiving Canada


The first Thanksgiving was celebrated in in 1578 when Martin Forbisher landed in Canada.  He wanted to give Thanks for his safe arrival to a new world.   Not to slight my fellow Americans, but this means that Thanksgiving was celebrated long before the pilgrims landed in Massachusetts.

Over the years, the date of this holiday has changed, beginning in November and in 1957 it was passed that Thanksgiving would be on the second Monday of October.

"A day of general thanksgiving to almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed."  (Canadian Parliament)

Canadian Thanksgiving is celebrated with family gatherings, parades, and eating lots of turkey and pumpkin.  

A few ideas to make for dinner and with leftovers:

Spiced Crockpot Turkey
Cornish Hen with Apricot Glaze and Wild Rice Dressing
Homemade Cranberry Sauce

Pretzel Salad
Butter Tarts
Nanaimo Bar Cheesecake



Asiago Honey Garlic Turkey Panini
Quinoa Kale Salad
Turkey Cranberry Quesadilla

Tablescape
Fall Tablescape


How are you celebrating Thanksgiving this year?
Share your ideas...







Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

15 comments :

  1. Thanks for the lesson on Thanksgiving in Canada. I learned something today. I hope you enjoy the Pumpkin Bundt Cake I brought to the table.
    Blessings,
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Cornish hens with apricot glaze look great! We do a traditional US Thanksgiving with all the trimmings!:)
    xoKathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great link up idea Marlys! happy thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like some yummy Thanksgiving recipe ideas! I brought another kale-quinoa salad, a little different from yours. We've been making it a lot lately and I think it might make it on to the menu for our Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all lovely ideas for Thanksgiving!! Thanks so much for sharing, Marlys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum! all those foods look SO good!! I have many friends who are Canadian and its fun to celebrate two Thanksgivings!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretzel salad is a new one for me. I'd like to try that one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of the food looks great and I learned a little something about Thanksgiving in Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is awesome! I love all things with Thanksgiving food! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. I didn't realize that Canada was celebrating theirs right now. This spread of food looks delicious. I think I will use some of your recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know how we're celebrating yet. We're going over to family's house and I've never been. So, I'm just going with the flow. I don't have to cook or host, so I'm greatful for that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for hosting this lovely party and for featuring my Chocolate and Pecan Pumpkin Pie! Have a nice day :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone from/in Canada! So many delicious ideas, I'm drooling here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Thanksgiving! I think we'll be celebrating at the Dallas Cowboy football game while my daughter performs in the half time show, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.