This and that: Fill the Cookie Jar with Thimble Cookies

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Fill the Cookie Jar with Thimble Cookies

Are you a procrastinator like me?  I am such a procrastinator.. once again I left my Fill the Cookie Jar post until the last minute.  You would think I would get them done a head of time.. but no, last day busy baking and fingers crossed that my cookies turned out....
So it is a good thing that they turned out RIGHT?  This month's them is Father's Favorite Cookies.  I spent a few days trying to figure out what kind of cookies would be my dad's favorite and came up with the cookie dough... He loved (not sure if he still does) cookie dough.  I remember having to save some for him if we made cookies when he was at work and if he was at home.... well just saying their wasn't so many cookies to bake as every time he would snitch some.. I am thinking that is the reason I love cookie dough so much.

  Are you a fan of the dough?
Here is some cookie dough for you Dad.
.

Fill the Cookie Jar with Thimble Cookies

I couldn't just give you cookie dough... well, I did think of cookie dough truffles for this month's selection but I also remembered that my dad liked Thimble Cookies aka Thumbprint Cookies.  So that is what I decided to use.  I haven't made Thimble Cookies for a long, long time so had to go on a hunt for the recipe.  I did find one in a cook book that I got from my Grandma ~ a local town church cookbook.


Thimble Cookies
adapted from St. Theresa's Treats Beechy R.C. Church Cookbook

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar (I use Zulka Morena Pure Sugar)
1 egg, separated
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 cup finely crushed walnuts (I used California Walnuts)
Jam (I used Royal Fig Jam)

Directions:
Preheat oven 350 degrees
Separate egg white and egg yolk in different bowl, set aside.
In mixing bowl, cream butter.
Add sugar and mix well.
Beat egg yolk, add to mixture with vanilla. Mix well.
Add flour and mix until dough sticks together. (As you start mixing it will look crumbly, keep mixing until the dough sticks together).
Shape into ball, the size of a walnut.
Dip ball into unbeaten egg yolk and then roll in crushed walnuts.
Place on greased cookie sheet or on baking mat covered cookie sheet.
Put a small dent into the thimble, with your thumb.
Bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes, remove from oven and dent again.
Bake for another 12-15 minutes until cookies are slightly brown.
Let sit on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes, transfer to cooling rack and fill dents with your favorite jam or jelly.
Optional:  Sprinkle powdered sugar over cookie.
Cookie dough with small dent in center
Bakers notes: I baked mine for a little longer until the cookie becomes a golden brown.  Also when I took them out of the oven after the first 5 minutes I tried to bring the sides up slightly so they don't crack.
This recipe is very small and only makes about 20 cookies and they are not very sweet, depending on the jam or jelly you place in the center. 

A perfect afternoon treat...
Last month I made:  Flower Cookies for Momma 

Are you interested in join Fill the Cookie Jar.  Each month our fearless leader Cynthia from Feeding Big gives us a theme.  You can decided whether you want to join or not. On the first Thursday of the month, we then post our cookies. The theme and any instructions are given to us through the Fill the Cookie Jar Facebook Group.
 For more information click the button below...

12 comments :

  1. I make thimble cookies at Christmas time, and they disappear very quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, but I think these sound delicious! Pretty sure my dad would like these too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like these kind of cookies a lot, I love how much Jam there is for the filling, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! My "hubby" is a cookie dough eater. Me not so much. I like the idea of adding different jam to the cookies. These look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Marlys, these do look SO good. I love figs, and I don't think to use them often enough. A nice big batch of these cookies would be just the thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I commented this morning and I don't see it.
    Anyway, I love thumbprints, mine are normally chocolate.
    Dawn
    Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  7. Better late than never. Those cookies look so good Marlys. My question is did you use your thumb or a thimble to make the indentation in your cookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlene, I used my thumb... I don't have a thimble :)

      Delete
  8. these sound yummy! I must try to make them sometime!
    Jessica from www.sparklesandglue.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cookies look delicious, but the dough looks better! I love to eat cookie dough!

    ReplyDelete

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.