This and that: African Toffee

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

African Toffee

A couple of nights ago, hubby was craving the toffee that he could get when he was at home in Togo, West Africa.  So, he called his mom to find out how to make it.  After making it I have a new respect for African women.  I knew that they are tough, but I have no idea how they rolled these candies without burning their hands and how they are able to make them small and smooth.  Mine were large and rough, but they still tasted good.  Tonight I decided to make them again and this time I decided to make them into heart shape for Valentines.  Let me tell you this wasn't as easy as I thought it would be.  The toffee hardens very fast and my heart shapes were a bit distorted... But they tasted good and that is all that matters.  Right?


African Toffee

1 can coconut milk
1/2 cup sugar - you can use more if you want them sweeter
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp anise
oil for area you will be making toffee and your hands

Combine coconut milk and sugar in saucepan.  Heat over medium heat until boiling.  Add lemon juice and anise.  Stirring fairly frequently, continue to cook over medium until candy begins to thicken and turn a brownish colour.  Takes about 15-20 minutes.  Take off heat.  Pour onto a clean surface that has been covered with oil.  Oil your hands and using spoon cut into small pieces and roll in your hands until toffee is smooth.  The second batch I spread the toffee out and used a heart shape cookie cutter, cut into hearts.
*** Please note toffee is very hot and if you are rolling it out by hand it may burn your hands.



Hubby told me that when I rolled mine, I rolled them to big in Togo the women and girls would roll them very small and sell them for 5 CFA each (about a penny).  The would roll enough of them to make some money... So the can of coconut milk was about $1.50.  I should have had more then 150 candies, I had about 40 the first time I rolled them... But maybe I could have sold them for more.

Enjoy



Ϡ₡✻   Marlys

(¯`
´¯)
`*.¸.*
✻✿*.¸.* Enjoy your day....`*.¸.*✻✿*.¸.*

3 comments :

  1. I love reading about the food of your husbands childhood. Thank you for sharing! I think I will try these :)
    pinned for later use and stumbled as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn for stopping by. Let me know what you think if you try this recipe.

      Delete
  2. Marlys, this is dreamy!! YUMM We have some awesome recipes this week!! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

    Thanks for linking back to the Gluten Free Fridays post!


    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.